The County of Grande Prairie No.1 realized the need for a large scale recreational facility in the Clairmont, Alberta area. As such the concept of the County Sportsplex was conceived and the planning and background work started late 2009 and early 2010. Our firm was employed to aid the County bring the external components of this facility to life. The external components and requirements included multiple parking areas, 8 multi-use playing fields and underground pipe networks for facility servicing.
Some of the project highlights were:
- 100,000m3 of material movement over the course of the project forming the main building site and the contour of all the exterior sports fields.
- 1.4km of watermain, 1.36km storm sewer and 300m sanitary sewer installed during the first construction season to provide service to the main facility and drainage for the entire site
- 3.1km of curb & gutter, 20,000t of Granular Base Course and 37,500m2asphalt concrete pavement installed to provide the road network and parking area.
- 35 Light Standards, 1.1km electrical conduit, 3.5km electrical cable to provide the exterior lighting for the parking lot, power supply for the irrigation system and access conduit for future development.
- A state of the art $600,000 irrigation system was installed to maintain the 100,000m2 of sports field and landscaped areas around the facility.
- 700m of asphalt trail was installed adjacent to the west side of the facility for pedestrian traffic.
- Successful completion of the project within budgeted parameters.