Beairsto & Associates Engineering Ltd. (BASE) was consulted to provide the engineering design and construction drawings for a new office building for Aztec Engineering Inc. The building owners had been working with KCM Commercial, and the preliminary design and layout was already approved. BASE stepped in to finalize planning and design, and ensure the building met all current Codes and regulations.
The 2-storey wood frame structure includes a large interconnected floor space with a feature open staircase. Designing for future growth, Phase 1, completed in the fall of 2016, consists of approximately 16,180 ft2 (1503 m2) of office space and 1,580 ft2 (147 m2) of garage space. Phase 2 will add approximately 6,000 ft2 (557 m2)more office area.
Some of the project highlights include:
- Design features that provide a relaxed comfortable character
- Interconnected lobby at the main entrance, with feature open staircase and second floor offices overlooking the reception
- Second floor exterior balconies from three offices and the gym
- Gym and locker rooms for staff use
- Main floor structural slab to mitigate movement from the clay soil
- Energy efficient LED lighting with motion sensors and dimmers
- Unique designed roof trusses allow for mechanical units to be located on the roof while remaining hidden from view
- Second floor exterior perimeter walls inset back from main floor walls to create a distinct lower roof feature
- Structural framing designed to accommodate future Phase 2 addition